CLUBS: Extra Cricket!13-Aug-2012
The Sussex Cricket Board are hoping to cut the defecit of some of the action lost in the early part of the summer due to rain with an extra competition in September open to Cricket Clubs in Sussex, in the shape of the SCB Big Bash.....
With the Summer we’ve had and the volume of lost cricket, the Sussex Cricket Board would like to propose that the cricket season could be extended into September in the form of a Sussex Cricket Board Big Bash event. Although we took some very positive initial thoughts from attendees at last week’s Player Reward Days, the purpose of this email is to gauge overall interest in the proposal, as it’s development is entirely based on demand from clubs.
• Clubs take part in short format competition, based on Last Man Stands format (8 a side, 20 x 5 ball overs per side, more details on http://www.lastmanstands.com)
• Run the competition on Saturday 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th – depending on numbers, clubs may not be required to play all of these Saturdays and the 29th may well be finals day
• Identify a small number of “hosting” grounds, where multiple games could be played on any one day – clubs have lost significant income this year through cancelled cricket therefore this may appeal to some clubs
• Cost – to be finalized once grounds sourced but there will be no entry fee required by the SCB
• Depending on numbers, we would look to split the competition according to geography and ability
Challenges – I appreciate that there are some obstacles / challenges to this including: autumn renovations, grounds used for football, cricketers who play football, existing friendlies, some ongoing competitions etc
So, all we ask at this point is:
A – would your club be interested in taking part in this?
B – would your club be interested in acting as a “hosting” ground? (on any or all of the days)
If the answer to the above is YES, please respond to Tim Shutt (email@example.com) by Wednesday 15th August (time scales are such that time would be required to develop the competition in time for Sept 8th)